Resin, pigments, metal and a huge question mark

Even though my last experiment was a success in terms of feasibility, it was also a setback as I’d like to keep my designs simple and understandable.

First of all I tried to conduct heat through a glass panel. I realised that it won’t have any notable effect on the thermochromatic pigments since the heat isn’t really spreading out.

© Julian Lange

After that I mixed the thermochromatic pigments with polyester resin which worked out perfectly. The problem I faced was conducting the heat of a heatsink within and through the resin. My solution was to cast a copper stripe into the resin.

 

© Julian Lange

When heated the black colour slowly dissolves into an opaque state. You can see an interesting gradient evolving. For the next test I want to use completely clear resin.

© Julian Lange

The point that bothers me the most is that there is so much going on within my lamp design. Resin, pigments and even metal just to get the effect I’d like to achieve. I have to look for a better and more simple solution as right now I am not overly happy with my design. Furthermore I kept searching for new and interesting materials and managed to get my hands on heatconducting plastics. I am also thinking of a lamp design with plastic heatsinks combined with the Acrich LEDs if my first concept turns out to be too hard to realise.

6

© Julian Lange

Julian Lange

Leave a comment